As a food blogger who never really intended to become a food blogger, I have found myself often wanting to repost some of my favorite recipes… to update the image(s) or share how I have tweaked things over the years.
So I have decided to do a flash back Friday of sorts from time to time… in an effort to revamp my recipe box, especially now that I have been lightening things up a bit around here.
So I am going to start with a dish that is a staple at every holiday meal. Everyone loves it… except Aunt Lou, but she is weird ;P and we won’t talk about that (LOVE you Aunt Lou).
I switched to this recipe from Mom’s Favorite Recipes a few years ago from my family’s Spoon Bread casserole, but this year I tried to lighten it up a bit.
The results were fantastic! 68 less calories and 5.5 less grams of fat PER SERVING.
The changes I made?
- I substituted 1 Cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt for the Sour Cream
- I substitute 1/4 Cup Light Butter for Regular Butter
- I substituted 1/4 Cup Splenda for Sugar (Use sugar if you’d prefer or leave it out entirely)
- Optional: for a change up of taste, substitute Mexicorn for the Corn Kernels— Yum!
- Optional: Use a Brownie Pan to keep portions in control.
Taste change? Negligible.In fact, several folks commented how good it was… I almost think the Greek yogurt made it a little creamier.I am really happy with this change.
Corn casserole is never going to be health food… BUT, it also is never going to stop being a occasional treat in this house.So if I can lighten it up a bit and enjoy it just the same, I think we call that a Mommy score!
Yummy Corn Casserole (or Spoon Bread) recipe has been lightened up a bit. Altered from Gooseberry Patch's Mom's Favorite Recipes.
- 1 Can Corn- Drained
- 1 Can Creamed Corn
- 1 Box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
- 1 Cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Splenda (or Sugar)
- 1 Egg- Beaten
- 1/4 Cup Light Butter -Melted
- Combine all ingredients and pour into a sprayed brownie pan or 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until set.
Affiliate links were used in this post.